Why It Made the Cut: State Farm offers fortified roof upgrade and wind mitigation discount options that may appeal to Louisiana homeowners, as well as an available $1 million personal liability coverage limit.
State Farm customers can select personal liability coverage up to $1 million—a relatively high amount for a homeowners insurance policy. This would provide more coverage in the event that homeowners or members of their household are found liable for third-party property damage or injuries, including injuries on the insured property.
Also, policyholders can sign up for a fortified roof upgrade endorsement that may appeal to Louisiana homeowners who would like an option to replace their existing roof with a fortified roof in the event that it is damaged by a covered peril. A similar wind mitigation discount is available to those who reinforce their homes (which includes sealing the roof deck, installing hurricane windows or shutters, and installing solid wood or hollow metal doors). This could come in handy given State Farm has a separate hurricane deductible that can run as high as 15 percent of the policy’s dwelling coverage amount.
The company also boasts the highest AM Best rating possible and provides homeowners with several different ways to file a claim, allowing them to choose the best method for their needs.
- Quote process: Online, phone, agent
- Claims process: App, online, phone, agent
- Deductibles: 0.5 percent, 1 percent to 5 percent, $5,000 or $10,000; Hurricane: 2 percent to 5 percent, 10 percent, 15 percent
- Discounts: Multi-policy, protective device, wind mitigation
- AM Best rating: A++
- High $1 million personal liability coverage option
- Fortified roof upgrade endorsement available
- Multiple convenient ways to submit a claim
- Wind mitigation discount available
- A++ AM Best rating
- Potentially high 15 percent hurricane deductible