Staying organized while working doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated. When working from home, a dedicated work space can help maintain focus while on the job (and keep personal life separate when off the clock).
Choosing the best desk for a home work space or office can increase productivity and streamline workflow. Even with a cramped space or tight budget, with a little research, you can find a desk that suits any need or style. Check out some of the top-rated desks on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: Sauder Edge Water Computer Desk
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Cubicubi Desk With Storage Shelves
- BEST LUXURY: Crate & Barrel Kendall 65-Inch-Wide Desk
- BEST WRITING DESK: Nnewvante 46-Inch-Wide Bamboo Home Office Desk
- BEST CORNER DESK: Lark Manor Pernell 60-Inch-Wide L-Shape Desk
- BEST FOLDING DESK: Coavas 39.4-Inch-Wide Industrial-Style Folding Desk
- BEST COMPUTER DESK: Brayden Studio Thaxted 55-Inch-Wide Desk
- BEST STANDING DESK: SHW Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk
- BEST FLOATING DESK: Haotian 32.3-Inch-Wide Wall-Mounted Home Office Desk
- BEST WITH HUTCH: Tribesigns Heavy-Duty Desk With Hutch and Bookshelf
How We Chose the Best Desks
Choosing a list of the best desks on the market isn’t as straightforward as it might seem. It takes time, research, and personal experience.
First, we performed extensive product research, gathering options for each type of desk. Next, we compared the materials each desk is made from to its price point to determine the value each model offers. Finally, we looked at each desk’s list of features and built-in options and compared it to our first-hand knowledge.
With this product research in mind, we chose a desk for each award to compile this guide.
Our Top Picks
For those looking for the best desk to match a specific style or budget, here are some top picks to consider.
The Sauder Edge Water computer desk has traditional, classic good looks and plenty of functional storage. It features two cabinets to conceal a computer tower, books, or other items. It also has two drawers: one for hanging file folders and the other for storing the keyboard (it pulls out, and the molding flips down).
This desk is available in three finishes: Estate Black, Washed Walnut, and Chalked Chestnut. No matter the finish, all desks in Sauder’s Edge Water collection are made from medium-density fiberboard (also known as MDF) with solid wood accents.
- Size: 20 inches tall by 59 inches wide by 23.25 inches deep
- Type: Computer desk
- Material: MDF with solid wood accents
- Colorways: 3
- Available in 3 colors to match any space: Estate Black, Washed Walnut, and Chalked Chestnut
- Plenty of built-in storage, with 2 cabinets and 2 drawers
- Large work surface is perfect for those who work from home
- MDF is engineered wood that can easily soak up liquids from any spills, causing stains
- Assembly required; this may be a bit tricky for some
Get the Sauder desk at Amazon, The Home Depot, or Sauder.
The Cubicubi home office computer desk’s industrial style features function and simplicity. Available in widths of 40, 47, 55, and 60 inches, this desk’s rustic brown work area and brown-and-black-accented storage shelves offer ample space. Its other color variation—a black work area with espresso accents—is a great choice for smooth writing or drawing projects.
The open two-tiered shelving unit provides storage space for books, supplies, and other gadgets. The frame’sdouble-iron strut design provides extra stability, and the adjustable legs keep the desk level. Just be aware that the work surface is composite wood, so immediately wipe up any spills.
- Size: 29.5 inches tall by 40, 55, 47, or 63 inches wide by 23.6 inches deep
- Type: Computer desk
- Material: Composite wood and metal
- Colorways: 2
- Smooth work surface; splice board and metal surface is sleek and useful
- 4 stylish designs; comes in rustic brown and black or espresso and black finishes
- Includes 2 built-in storage shelves; available in 4 width options
- Composite wood top may not be as durable as some other options available
Get the Cubicubi desk at Amazon.
The Kendall desk from Crate & Barrel is a midcentury-style executive desk made by hand from solid wood and plywood veneers and topped with an oil finish and wax topcoat.
This 65-inch-wide desk offers a large work surface that allows for multiple monitors, desk blotters, decor, and other office items. It also features four built-in drawers for storage, each with full-extension ball-bearing glides.
- Size: 30 inches tall by 65 inches wide by 29 inches deep
- Type: Executive desk
- Material: Solid wood and plywood
- Colorways: 6
- 100 percent real walnut construction is durable enough for everyday use
- 65-inch-wide surface makes this desk perfect for those who need a lot of desktop space
- Full-extension ball-bearing drawer glides never get stuck or jiggle while in use
- 6 neutral and bright color options: Walnut, Cocoa, Cream, Dove, Pickled Oak, Charcoal Cherry
- Some users have reported that the work surface was unfinished and scratched easily
Get the Crate & Barrel desk at Crate & Barrel.
Nnewvante’s 46-inch-wide home office desk has a smooth bamboo surface that’s great for writing, drawing, or working on a laptop computer.
This desk offers plenty of space and more than enough room for a chair. It has two shallow drawers underneath for storing notebooks or pens, although storage is limited. Moreover, this desk is designed to prevent it from shaking.
- Size: 29.5 inches tall by 46 inches wide by 23.5 inches deep
- Type: Writing
- Material: Bamboo
- Colorways: 1
- This desk’s smooth bamboo writing surface is both eco-friendly and functional
- Plenty of surface area for work or hobbies; suitable for those who work from home
- Nonshake design is perfect for working on a computer, writing, or for creative tasks
- The drawers are a bit shallow; may not hold many items
- Only available in 1 colorway; may not suit some users’ spaces
Get the Nnewvante desk at Amazon.
Lark Manor’s Pernell desk features a large L-shape design that provides space for monitors, computers, an office phone, decor, and more.
Thiscorner desk features one cabinet and a pull-out drawer with ball-bearing glides. Both the top and base are made of manufactured wood, which helps reduce the overall cost and provides stability in changing environmental conditions. However, this desk requires a good bit of space.
- Size:29.96 inches tall by 60 inches wide by 60 inches deep
- Type: L-shape
- Material: Manufactured wood
- Colorways: 7
- Large work surface; L-shaped desk design offers double the work space
- Built-in drawer and cabinet can hold paperwork, writing utensils, and other work tools
- Versatile orientation; can be used as a corner desk or be placed center office
- Takes up space; may not fit in an office that has a lot of furniture
Get the Lark Manor desk at Wayfair.
To keep the work space clean, modern, and portable, the Coavas desk has hinged legs for easy setup or takedown. Simply swing the legs into place and clip the rear support to create a desk that can hold up to 200 pounds of equipment and supplies.
The Coavas desk is a good solution for college dorms or other small spaces as it is a smaller desk. It has a metal frame and an MDF desktop with a faux-wood laminate. Note that this is a writing-style desk, so it might be too small for multiple monitors or electronics. It does not include built-in shelves or pull-out drawers.
- Size:28.3 inches tall by 39.4 inches wide by 19.7 inches deep
- Type: Folding writing desk
- Material: Metal and engineered wood
- Colorways: 6
- Compact footprint; suitable for smaller, compact office spaces or rooms
- Easy to fold down in case extra space is needed; collapses for stowing
- 200-pound maximum bearing weight means plenty of items can be placed on this desk
- This desk’s 39.4-inch-wide surface may not be able to accommodate multiple monitors
Get the Coavas desk at Amazon.
The Brayden Studio Thaxted desk provides space for a monitor or even two. Two built-in drawers and a cabinet, each with soft-close drawer slides, and a slide-out keyboard tray offer space and storage.
The Thaxted desk comes in two colors, cappuccino (dark brown) and white, each with silver metal hardware and feet for a modern look. It has a 300-pound weight capacity.
- Size:29.5 inches tall by 55 inches wide by 23.5 inches deep
- Type: Computer desk
- Material: Manufactured wood
- Colorways: 2
- Attractive modern look is perfect for offices with a luxurious theme
- Built-in cabinets for storage as well as a handy hidden keyboard tray
- Soft-close drawers are safe for homes where children and pets tend to run around
- While this desk looks stylish and expensive, some users say its material quality is poor
Get the Brayden Studio desk at Wayfair.
In recent years, the importance of ergonomics and the health risks of prolonged sitting have spurred a movement toward using standing desks while working. SHW’s adjustable standing desk features a sizable work space that adjusts from 24 inches to 45 inches tall, allowing the user to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the workday.
Users can program the standing desk to four preset heights. Beware: This ergonomic desk is perfect for a laptop and light equipment but not suitable for a stack of heavy textbooks. This ergonomic desk is also available in 40-inch and 55-inch lengths.
- Size:24 to 45 inches tall by 40, 48, or 55 inches wide by 24 inches deep
- Style: Sit/stand
- Material: Metal and manufactured wood
- Colorways: 8
- Versatile construction meets multiple users’ preferences; height adjusts for sitting or standing
- Electric motor for easy, hands-free adjustment; lifts up to 45 inches high
- Large work surface is perfect for those who use a large monitor
- Comes with multiple hanging hooks and cord organizers for a decluttered desk
- May not be the most traditional design; built for function more than fashion
Get the SHW desk at Amazon.
This wall-mounted home office desk from Haotian is ideal for small spaces or bedrooms. The simple desk is manufactured from high-quality MDF and can hold up to 66 pounds. Top and side storage shelves and drawers are included in the compact design.
Haotian’sfloating desk also features a cable holder to keep cords organized and out of sight. The desk requires assembly, and its smooth finish cleans easily and stands up to everyday use.
- Size: 23.6 inches tall by 32.3 inches wide by 15.4 inches deep
- Type: Floating
- Material: MDF and particleboard
- Colorways: 2
- Space-saving design is unique; suitable for dorms or small spaces
- Integrated cable sorting hole keeps the space decluttered and organized
- Built-in storage shelves keep knickknacks, books, and other office supplies within reach and organized
- 66-pound weight limit is low compared to other office desks available
- May be tricky for some buyers to install, requiring more than one set of hands
Get the Haotian desk at Amazon, Kmart, or Haotian.
Tribesigns’ heavy-duty desk offers a sturdy work surface and built-in storage at a low price. This model, available in two width options (47.24 or 55.12 inches wide), provides a reasonable amount of work surface within a relatively compact footprint.
Two open shelves, one above divided into three sections and one underneath, offer storage. A manufactured wood desktop and metal legs make this desk both affordable and durable.
- Size:54.72 inches tall by 47.24 or 55.12 inches wide by 22.6 inches deep
- Type: Computer desk
- Material: Manufactured wood and metal
- Colorways: 5
- 2 full-length open shelves can store paperwork, books, keyboards, and more
- Design is perfect for offices that already have a lot of furniture
- Durable metal legs can hold many heavy items at once
- Overhead bookshelf may limit a user’s monitor size; may not be suitable for large screens
Get the Tribesigns desk at Amazon, Lowe’s, The Home Depot, or Tribesigns.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Desk
There are many desk buying options on the market. Aside from cost, shoppers may also want to consider the quality of the materials and design elements of a new desk. Here are some of the most important features to consider in choosing the best desk for a home or office.
Types of Desks
When shopping for the best desk, it can be challenging to sort through all the options on the market. However, most office desks vary by function, style, and price. Knowing how and where the desk will be used can help narrow the selection. Getting familiar with the following types of desks also helps identify the best desk for work needs.
Computer desks are just that—a place to hold a computer while working. When shopping for a computer desk, consider whether the computer is a laptop or desktop model and if the desk needs space for dual monitors or other desk accessories.
Computer desks are made in several tabletop sizes to accommodate computers or other work materials. Some versions also have space for keyboards, books, a desk lamp, or other office supplies.
While almost any table can serve as a desk space for writing, kitchen and coffee tables don’t provide ergonomic support to help prevent fatigue and strain. Writing desks offer simple and comfortable desk design solutions with minimal storage.
An open desk space works well for computers, books, and notebooks. It’s also possible to create a calm, creative writing space with wood, glass, or metal desk options.
L-shape desks are popular executive desk options because they sit against a wall or divide the space within the room. They provide ample working space for multiple computer monitors, notebooks, and ledgers.
Some L-shape desks come with a matching hutch for additional storage. Hutches keep all work-related items within arm’s reach without consuming additional floor space. Executive-style desks come in modern and traditional styles in various colors and materials, including wood, metal, and glass.
When looking to create a more compact work space, corner desks allow the smart use of corners while offering a surprisingly large work area. Many come with tabletop shelving, underneath storage compartments, and drawers to maximize the space-saving features. Corner desks are made from metal, wood, and glass, and they’re available in a variety of shapes.
Folding desks are a versatile option for a mobile or nonpermanent work space. These desks are lightweight yet durable enough to stand up to frequent folding. Available in a variety of sizes and materials to meet any work needs and space restrictions, most folding desk models require little to no assembly.
If floor space is at a premium, floating desks are a space-saving solution. Floating desks mount to the wall and feature a desk surface and storage shelving or drawers. While a good option for a laptop and a few notebooks, floating desks have lower weight limits than traditional desks.
Standing while working reportedly helps improve productivity as well as health. Some standing desks allow the user to adjust the height via either a hand crank or electronic control to switch between sitting and standing. Standing desks come in a variety of sizes and colors.
Work needs vary depending on the type of work performed. Writers, financial planners, gamers, graphic artists, and architects have different needs. Work may include using a computer, accessing paper files, and using drawing tools or a printer.
Having adequate space to work with efficient positioning of work materials is an important consideration when shopping for home office desks. Whether sitting at the desk for hours on end or using it for brief tasks throughout the day, design, storage, and comfort are important features to consider.
The higher the quality of materials and the more design elements, the more expensive the desk will be. However, finding an affordable option isn’t necessarily difficult. It may help to keep the following features in mind while shopping around.
Style preferences help determine which material and construction suit the space. Desk styles include modern ergonomic designs, traditional, and rustic, and materials include solid wood, metal, glass, and medium-density fiberboard (MDF is an engineered wood product). Higher-quality materials withstand wear and tear better but are often heavier. However, a lightweight desk doesn’t necessarily mean poor quality.
Size and Height
Size and height are important considerations when purchasing an office desk. A desk must be large enough to allow the user to work comfortably but small enough to keep the office space functional and aesthetically appealing.
Taking measurements of the space helps ensure that the desk fits without overpowering it. The desk’s height is important as well. A preference for sitting or standing can affect the ideal height. For sitting, make sure the desk accommodates a comfortable, adjustable office chair.
Some office desks serve only as a writing space, but others must also accommodate a computer or drawing area. Most desks have a smooth surface, but some contemporary styles have a more textured feel. A smooth surface is usually preferred for writing at a desk, as textured surfaces make for bumpy penmanship.
The placement of the desk also affects choice. Styles and designs exist for corner, wall, or open spaces. Measuring the office space prior to shopping for a desk helps narrow the options.
Also consider the orientation of the desk. Will it be positioned in an open floor plan, placed against or away from a wall, or within a cubicle space?
Office desks have developed through the years. Although some people prefer the aesthetic appeal of a simple tabletop with legs, others find extra features, such as storage, adjustability, and ergonomic form, high on their priority list.
- Adjustable feet provide an even work space on uneven flooring and help prevent scratch marks on floors.
- Desks with adjustable height options help meet ergonomic standards for reducing fatigue and neck or shoulder strain. Some sit-down options also have adjustable legs.
- Rolling casters help move a desk in an office or work space. Many come with locking features to prevent it from moving while in use.
- Desk storage features include shelving, drawers, and cabinets. Desks with storage space are ideal for small spaces because they eliminate the need for additional bookcases and filing cabinets. Storage also keeps executive spaces organized.
Now that you know more about the variety of desks available, you may have more questions. Here are answers to some of the most common questions about desks to help as you hunt for the best desk for a home or office.
Q. What makes a good office desk?
A good office desk is the desk that meets your needs for both function and comfort. A quality desk also is durable and easy to assemble.
Q. What size desk do I need?
A desk surface must be large enough to accommodate all your work materials yet keep your work space clutter-free. The average size of a computer desk is 47 to 60 inches by 28 to 30 inches. Desks are available with an even smaller footprint and with below- or above-desk storage to accommodate small office spaces.
Q. What material should my desk be made of?
Your desk’s material depends largely on your style preference and budget. Materials such as solid wood, high-quality steel, and tempered glass provide durability for years of daily use, while particleboard and lower-quality metal show signs of wear and tear and require replacement sooner.
Q. Where should I put a desk in an office?
The style of office desk helps determine the ideal placement, but it’s a good idea to place the desk as close to a natural light source as possible.
Q. Should my desk face the wall or a window?
If designing with feng shui in mind, it’s better to have a wall in front of you than a window. If you’re facing the window, distractions may draw your gaze from your computer desk and out the window to the world beyond.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.